A pressure dressing is probably the most essential medical product you should have in your first aid kit. Severe bleeding cannot wait for medical help. Well-aimed pressure directly on the wound is always the best way to stop profuse bleeding, and the pressure dressing does precisely that. Pressure dressings are known by other names such as an Israeli bandage, emergency trauma dressing, emergency bandage, etc.
That is why adventurers include pressure dressings and tourniquets as one of the most essential items to include in their gear, even when limited in what they can carry.
Pressure dressings are used when tourniquets should not be or cannot be used. For example, trauma to the head, neck, or torso is an excellent example of where a tourniquet cannot be used. A tourniquet stops the blood from flowing to an injured limb, where pressure dressings create a more focused pressure, clotting the blood at the injury point.
You can apply a pressure dressing after other wound care is done, like packing a wound hole with gauze. The best pressure dressing comes with extra wound packing materials. Survival experts recommend you have one pressure dressing for each emergency loadout at the very least.
We have included recommendations on some five-star bandages and tourniquets that Amazon customers rate highly.
1. Olaes 4″ Modular Bandage — Flat
The Olaes Modular Bandage is the newest in trauma bandages and is suitable for all levels of care providers. It has features including three meters of gauze, a removable occlusive plastic sheet, and a pressure cup that doubles as an eyecup.
The advanced abilities of the bandage are tucked away and can be either ignored or utilized. There are no clips or hooks that confuse or delay the needed care. Velcro control strips stop the elastic roll from unraveling accidentally and secures the bandage during application.
With input directly from some of the most experienced medics worldwide, this product was designed with no detail left out. The adhesive on the bandage prevents it from accidentally unrolling to packed gauze that feeds easily from the bandage. This is the most feature-packed bandage available.
No other bandage on the market offers so much versatility in such a small package. It can cover small wounds, apply effective pressure dressing, pack severe wounds and apply occlusive dressings, with one bandage. The unique pressure cup promotes focused pressure on top of the wound site. This focused pressure helps occlude damaged vessels at the wound site where it is needed, reducing the amount of manual pressure required. The pressure cup can be removed and used as an eye cup for the treatment of eye injuries.
This product is latex-free, offers 3 meters, or almost ten feet of sterile 4-ply gauze. The transparent pressure cup focuses on the wound site and allows for visual inspection of an uncontrolled hemorrhage.
Israeli 6″ Sterile Compression Bandage — Authentic Compact Design for Emergency Wound Dressing, First Aid Trauma Kit
Though some feel this is the best Israeli bandage, this product has a proven design and is trauma wound ready. All in one design has a pressure applicator, non-adhesive pad, elastic dressing, with closure bar for the best hemorrhage control and tourniquet action for an emergent wound situation. It has the Swiss Safe quality difference by providing medical grade first aid supplies and safety equipment for businesses, home users, and working field professionals.
Here are more advantages of the Swiss Safe Trauma Wound Dressing:
- 6X9” extra-large pad
- 7′ extra-long bandage
- Ready for emergency use
- The only double vacuum sealed bandage, ultra-compact size with a second layer of sterility control
- Inner and outer air evacuated double seal, sterilized, and manufactured in a medical facility
- Extra-large 6″ absorbent, non-adherent pad, unfolds to over 7 feet long
- Battle ready closure bar applies extra pressure to slow down hemorrhaging, adding a tourniquet effect
- Original compact design, suitable for any first aid kit, camping bag, or outdoor adventure gear
- It comes with everything you need should there be an emergency: primary dressing, secondary dressing, pressure applicator, and closure apparatus
The emergency bandage also called the Israeli bandage was invented by an Israeli medic, Bernard Bar-Natan. It was specially designed to stop blood flow from hemorrhaging wounds caused by severe injuries in pre-hospital emergency conditions.
The bandage's sterile, non-adherent pad applies pressure to the site and can be quickly wrapped. It also has a second application like a tourniquet to further constrict the flow of blood. This bandage is so easy to use that an injured person can apply the bandage himself with one hand.
A tourniquet is a device for stopping blood flow through an artery, or vein, usually by compressing a limb with a tight bandage or cord. Here are two of the best tourniquets on the Amazon website.
“Stop the Bleed” Kit with CAT Tourniquet by Curaplex
Curaplex offers a wide range of medical products for use by everyday consumers and medical professionals. The Curaplex “Stop the Bleed” kit includes the following:
- One permanent marker
- Two pairs, large, latex-free gloves
- C-A-T tourniquet
- One emergency bandage
- A pair of 7.5” trauma sheers
- Compressed gauze dressing, two rolls primed
- Instructions for use
- Tamper-proof seal that is vacuum-packed
- Provides the users with immediate access to products that slow traumatic bleeding before the arrival of professional help
- Officially licensed by the U. S. Department of Defense
Recon Medical Tourniquet — Gen 3 Mil-Spec Kevlar Aluminum First Aid Tactical Swat Medic Pre-Hospital Hemorrhage Control
Over 6,500 satisfied customers cannot be wrong. They say this is the best tourniquet out there, all giving it a five-star rating.
Hemorrhaging is a major reason for preventable death in trauma situations, both tactical and non-tactical. Here are some of the Recon Medical Tourniquet features that make it so popular with Amazon customers.
- The Recon Assisted Occlusion Strap has a design that is patent-pending, for the best grip in mud, blood, or extreme conditions
- There is a tip that does not curl for the larger patients and does not peal when it matters the most
- There is an additional tourniquet that stops difficult bleeding from an artery
- The Kevlar stitching prevents strap pealing
- The tourniquet is lined with US DuPont Kevlar stitching.
- The Recon single route buckle makes application faster and has strong teeth for a superior bite
- The Recon medical windlass is made with 6061-T6 aircraft grade aluminum, in a hollow design for lighter weight, and includes a pen.
We hope you find these suggestions useful while preparing for your next adventure. If you are ready for an eventual injury, it could save a life. Have fun, but stay safe.