You may be wondering why you should spend extra dollars for a survival knife instead of just using one of your old kitchen knives? It is undeniable that any knife can be a survival knife when faced with a survival situation.
However, with a kitchen or an ordinary knife, your survival chances are limited. This type of knife usually has a weak blade and can easily break while fetching firewood or doing other hardy jobs.
Purchase This Survival Knife on Amazon
The best survival knife can perform numerous tasks such as butchering, cutting firewood, fishing, and fighting the enemy, which your ordinary knife might not do.
When venturing into outdoor activities, you are venturing into the unknown, you don't want to be caught off guard. By all means, these knives are unique, and they are worth every penny that you spend on them.
What To Look For In A High-Quality Survival Knife
- Fixed blade: A fixed blade should be a priority. While you may find folding and lock blade knives attractive, they might not offer the stability you need in a survival situation.The folding point acts as their weak point for easy breakage. Instead, go for a fixed blade knife that will not break easily.
- Blade strength: How strong the blade is, is of paramount importance in a survival situation. Imagine your knife blade breaking while trying to chop firewood, and you are left without an alternative? The secret is simple, chose a knife whose blade is made of carbon steel or stainless steel. With a strong blade knife, you will not disappoint.
Buy a Smith & Wesson Survival Knife Here
- Design of the blade: There are three types of design; straight flat edge, serrated, and partially serrated. It is essential to remember that a good blade should be multitasking. For chopping and slicing purposes, a straight blade is preferred, while for cutting, a serrated one is suitable. As such, go for a partially serrated knife for better chances of survival.
- Solid handle: You do not want a handle that slips out of your hands during serious chopping. Instead, go for that which offers a firm grip even when sweaty. Most of the quality handles are made of synthetic rubber, stacked leather washers, among other artificial products.
- Full tag: The best survival knife should have its blade extend to the full length of the handle. When all other features may be excellent, the quality will drastically fall if the blade breaks. Imagine having a knife without a handle; will its effectiveness remain? I don't think so. Thus, check the product description and enquire if your knife choice has a full tag.
Buy Fixed Blade Survival Knife
- Blade length: Any length of the blade can be ideal: However, for a survival knife, it would be great if the length is between 4 inches to 10 inches. In this way, it can multitask as required. A small knife is ideal for cutting, while a long one is ideal for chopping.
- The tip: It can be sharp, angled, or rounded. While each of them has various functions, a sharp-tipped knife is more preferred to others for survival as it can perform a wide variety of tasks compared to others. It can be used to hunt, pick rocks, food preparation, self-defense, and open jammed doors, among other survival activities.
Best survival knives
Below are the five best survival knives that are worth every penny
- Cold Steel Recon 1 Tactical Knife – It is four-inches with a blade thickness of 3.5 mm. The handle has laminated scales preventing it from slipping out of sweaty palms. It is suitable for opening cans and creating smaller tinder.
- Ka-Bar Becker BK-22 – This knife has a 5.25 inch fixed blade within the recommended length of a survival knife. It is the best suit for outdoor activities such as camping, hunting, splintering firewood, skinning, and chopping food. These multitasking properties make it best suitable for survival.
- Gerber Ultimate Knife – It is among the renowned survival brands measuring about 13inch and weighs below a pound for a good reason. The blade is partially serrated and made of carbon stainless steel with a rubber handle providing a firm grip. It is best designed for camping, cutting, and chopping, among other survival activities.
- SOG Survival Knife – It is a full-tag survival knife measuring about 8inches from tip to the handle and 4-inch blade. It is made of stainless steel and a thermoplastic rubber handle.
- BPS Knives Bushcraft Knife – It is a full-tag knife with a blade measuring 3.7inch. It is made from high-quality and durable carbon steel material and is perfect for cutting, drilling, and piercing, among other bushcraft activities. The handle is made of walnut wood and comes with a leather sheath and belt loop necessary for carrying during your outdoor activities.
What Are The Pros Of A Survival Knife?
- High quality and durable materials: It is made of carbon stainless steel. This material is not only durable but also rust-resistant.
- Sizable and lightweight: A good size is about 4 to 6 inches and weighs less than a pound. These features make it portable and suitable for cutting and slicing.
- Full tang: With the blade extending to the handle, the user is assured of zero chances of breaking the handle in the middle of a crisis.
- Solid handle: This provides a firm grip ensuring it does not slip off your hand even when you are sweaty. Otherwise, it would be dangerous or impossible to defend yourself from a wild animal while your weapon keeps on sliding off your hand.
- It has a fixed blade: It reduces the chances of the handle breaking.
What Are The Cons Of Survival Knives?
- Length: some blades are long making it challenging to carry them in your pocket.
- Heavy: The blade thickness is advocated up to a certain thickness beyond that it becomes ineffective.
Survival knives are unique and not overpriced for nothing. If you have been skeptical about this tool due to its high price, it may be time you reconsider.
While all knives can be used for survival, some are specifically designed for that purpose. Plan your outdoor activities smart by including one in your tools.